Square and Compass Club (Fraternity) was organized at Washington and Lee University in 1915 and received its Charter from the Commonwealth of Virginia on May 12, 1917. The nation-wide organization is similar to the Grand Lodge system that it has one Square in each state and is a loose federation.
In 1951 at the national convention of Sigma Alpha Chi, a discussion between representatives from Sigma Mu Sigma and Sigma Alpha Chi regarding the possibility of a merger of the two fraternities took place. At that time, it was found that the ideals and objectives of Sigma Mu Sigma and Sigma Alpha Chi were almost identical.
After a year of discussion and planning, a meeting was held at Angola, Indiana on August 3, 1952 for the purpose of merging the two organizations. It was decided that the merged group should be called Sigma Mu Sigma – Square and Compass. DCpages.com